Batch #6 | Anchor Steam Clone
Brew Day: 01/15/13
Original Gravity: 1.048
Final Gravity: 1.018
Rating (1 - worst, 10 - best): 6
This beer is good- but last night I tasted it head to head with Anchor Steam. One of my impressions is that the commercial version has more late addition hops. Maybe some dry hopping would help it come closer. I think NB hops tend to be harsh in later additions, though, so I'll keep my "clone" as is. My husband and I both prefer my version over the Anchor Steam due to the smoothness I have in mine.
First Tasting on: 02/20/13
Anchor Steam Clone
Orange/amber color, good head, and slight citrus notes. Dry and hoppy.
- 10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 90.91 %
- 1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
- 0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.00 %] (30 min) Hops 9.2 IBU
- 1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 23.9 IBU
- 0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma HHops
- 1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
- Mash/Grains: 60 min Mash In Add 13.75 qt of water at 170.1 F Step Temp: 154.0 F
- Mash/Grains: 10 min Mash Out Add 7.70 qt of water at 198.5 F Step Temp: 168.0 F
- Boil: Bring water to a boil for 60 mins.
- Boil: At 60 mins add 1.00 oz Northern Brewer hops
- Boil: At 30 mins add 0.50 oz Northern Brewer hops
- Boil: At 15 mins add 1 Whirlfloc tablet
- Boil: At end of the boil add 0.50 oz Northern Brewer hops
- Fermentation: Add to primary fermenter for 7 days @ 55F
- Fermentation: Add to secondary fermenter for 14 days @ 55F