Batch #12 | Irish Red
Brew Day: 02/02/13
Original Gravity: 1.05
Final Gravity: 1.013
Was looking to brew an Irish Red for St Patricks Day. FG 1.009
Rating (1 - worst, 10 - best): 6
Was a bit weaker than the recipe called for. Seems like it will be better after some time. But I had a Pattys day party and we drank it all. :)
First Tasting on: 03/15/13
Roasty, malt forward but dry finish. Modeled after Smithwicks, the "gold standard"
- 12oz British Roasted Barley 500L (4%)
- 12# Maris Otter (70%)
- 6oz Crystal 120L (2%)
- 4# Vienna (24%)
- 2oz 4.5% AA Fuggles (75 min)
- 1oz 5.0% AA Goldings (15 min)
- Mash/Grains: Mash at 150F for 75 min.
- Boil: Bring your wort to a boil and set your timer for 75 minutes.
- Boil: At 75 minutes, add 2.0 oz. Fuggles hops.
- Boil: At 15 minutes, add 1.0z oz. Goldings hops.
- Preparation: Terminate the boil and chill the wort to 65F.
- Fermentation: Primary fermentation for 10 days at 65F.
- Fermentation: Secondary fermentation for 14 days at 72F.
This style should be crystal clear in the glass and shine ruby red when held up to a light. If you bottle condition, I recommend a two week secondary followed by pitching some English yeast like a half package of S-04 in the bottling bucket so the beer finishes nice and clear in the bottle.
Recipe Brewing History
brewed by tom on 03/15/13
||Rating: 6 / 10